Wednesday 13 March 2013

Big Sparkle: An Unnecessarily Long Story About My Ring

It just dawned on me that I have yet to talk about my ring.


Warning: Extremely wordy post ahead!

I love my ring. Actually, that's an understatement - the first time I typed that, it was in all caps and I think there were about twenty O's. But, I figured that was a tad obnoxious. So I edited. You're welcome.

This is going to make me sound very superficial and whatnot, but in the interest of full disclosure - I used to (jokingly) tell Spencer "wrong ring, wrong guy." I guess he took it very seriously (truth is said in jest?) and was a little bit nervous about going ring shopping. But that's okay! I wanted him to take it seriously and put thought and effort into it. After all, it was a tangible symbol of our commitment to our future! Although, it still makes me feel bad that he actually took my joke to heart.

We actually went to browse rings at Spence Diamonds the first time about a year before we got engaged. The first visit was more for price - Spencer wanted to convince me that diamonds are expensive. Obviously, I knew that they were expensive, but I didn't appreciate it. If that makes any sense. We spent some time there, I got sized and pointed out a few styles I liked. 

After that visit, I wanted Spencer to know that although I appreciated the gesture, I was also very comfortable with a ringless engagement. I know a few couples who have decided on that, and it's not like it makes their commitment any less special. But, being the traditionalist he is, Spencer was adamant that he was going to buy me a ring. I just had to wait.

Again, in the interest of full disclosure, I was probably not the most patient girlfriend. There are a few reasons for this ... Spencer and I were and are very confident and secure in our relationship, however, we've endured a lot of off-hand and snide (probably not on purpose, but snide nonetheless) comments about how until we're married, our relationship is less important or "real" than others. Hearing that time and time again gets hard. Why am I less important because I have a different label? That doesn't make our relationship any less committed. I also come from a family with an unmarried mother. My parents were together for twelve years and have been apart since I was ten. Although my mom has had great relationships and I come from a very close family, I've always wanted the commitment of marriage. There's also the propaganda designed to make women feel insecure - an article I read once really stuck in my mind about how until you actually have a ring on your finger, everything else is meaningless. Which my logical brain knows is utter crap, but sometimes it's hard to ignore the nagging insecure voice.

Luckily, Spencer didn't get sick of me and toss me out to the curb.

A few months before we got engaged, we went back to Spence Diamonds. I chose three styles I liked and left the rest up to Spencer. 


  
Photos taken from Spence Diamonds

You might have noticed I have a thing for Princess Cut diamonds. The one of these three that I loved was the Halo ring. At the time, I knew Halo settings were very popular, but I hadn't seen many Princess Cut ones. I thought it was at least uniquely trendy. 

The guy from Spence Diamonds turned out to be really pushy and annoying. Bad for his commission, good for us. We ended up finding a better ring for a better price. 

In comes ... Costco!

I love Costco. Spencer loves Costco. We both come from major Costco-lovin' families. So. One shopping day in October 2012, we stopped at the jewelry case. And there. It. Was. THE ring. It was gorgeous and the minute I saw it, I couldn't get it out of my head. It was twice the ring for $1000 less than what Spence Diamonds was quoting us. And I've never heard anyone knock the value of Costco diamonds - in fact, a few ladies at work were bugging me to encourage Spencer to buy me a ring from there!

In November Spencer and I initiated a "spend-free" month. I thought it was just to save money for the holidays - everyone around me and their dog were convinced that I was getting a ring at the end of it. I thought they were all full of shit. They were right, I was wrong. 

Without further ado, my ring! 


Isn't it puuurdy?

It actually has diamonds on the front and back aspects, which is my favourite part of the ring because they're like my little secret diamonds. I called it Big Sparkle at first to be obnoxious and annoying. But only to Spencer. And now the Blogosphere. But I promise that I don't actually refer to my ring as anything other than "my ring."

Is your journey to the (one) ring (to rule them all) as long-winded as mine? Don't leave me hanging!

No comments:

Post a Comment