Tuesday 19 February 2013

Will you be my ...

Spencer and I had different experiences choosing our bridal parties. I'm not going to speak for him, but, in my humble opinion, he had a definite easier time than I did.

After some discussion, we decided on four attendants on either side. He wanted three, but I have a thing about symmetry. Let me just paint you a picture - when I'm posing for pictures with my bridesmaids, I don't want there to be two bridesmaids on one side of me and one on the other. I want there to be an even number on either side. Call me crazy, because I know I am, but that's just what I want.

Let me be clear, I didn't just pick four ladies wily-nily to be symmetrical. In the end, I ended up with four ladies who are very, very important to me. 

But before I get to who I chose and how I chose them, let's back up for a second.

I'm the only girl in four kids. I have two older brothers and one younger brother. I love my brothers, and they have made me into the person I am today. They've given me strength and taught me how to laugh, love and of course, be patient. When I was thinking about who was most important to me and who I'd like to stand up next to me when I married Spencer, the first people I thought of were my brothers. Brosmaids. Of course, my fiance and my brothers are not as progressive as I am and very quickly shot my idea down. Sigh. Oh well. Just because I'm the bride doesn't mean I can have everything (WHAT!?).

Anyway, my oldest brother (Broseph A) is going to be our emcee, my middle brother (Broseph R) requested to just attend (which is absolutely fine by me!) and my little brother (Broseph B) is going to be a groomsman. 

So, the girls. Choosing these girls was not without it's drama - which I will address in a future post. I wanted to have fair representation of different parts of my life - family, friends, school, work. Without further ado - these are my ladies!

MOH Skydiver - My lovely friend from nursing school. We both work in pediatrics now and we've done some crazy things together ... She convinced me to go skydiving when we were in Hawaii a few years ago! Hence the name. So, it makes sense that she stands up next to me while I do another crazy thing in my life! She's really one of the nicest people I know. And she's super organized, so that helps too (haha - no, but, seriously ... It does). 

Bridesmaid Boobilicious - Another lovely friend from nursing school. We've been friends since our very first class in school, and have gone through a lot together. She would probably know me the best in my relationship (does that even make sense?). Anyway, she's so much fun and I have so many great memories with this girl, and I love her!

Bridesmaid Lady Luck - My cousin from my dad's side. My brothers and her and her brother used to be the "Canadian cousins" ... But now she's living across an ocean with the rest of the family! I love her lots and we've always had so much fun together. You just can't break the family bond, and since my dad's family is so much part of my identity, I couldn't imagine not having someone stand up with Spencer and I.

Bridesmaid Curls - My cousin from my mom's side. Although I don't have a sister, I'm lucky enough to have great cousins that are close to my age (both Lady Luck & Curls don't have sisters either - kismet). Curls lives in Edmonton with me, but I don't see her nearly as much as I should! Again, my family is so much a part of who I am, I couldn't imagine not having representation from either side with me!

And last but not least, my little Flowergirl J. My aunt's (who's always been like a big sister to me) daughter who I love to pieces! 

Like I said, on Spencer's side, my little brother is going to be one of his groomsmen. He's also going to have his two brothers and his childhood best friend. He chose not to have a ring bearer. His nephew will be just about four when we get married, but he didn't want to have to worry about who was going to watch him during pictures and such. So, his choice, whatever.

Another honourable mention will be one of our ushers, Flowergirl J's older brother A. He's too old to be a ring bearer ... Buuut he's one of the smartest and most out-going kids I know, so we thought handing out programs and such would be the perfect way to have him involved with the wedding!

Those are just a handful of our rockstars. 

Phew, that was a lot of typing. Sorry for the wordiness!

How did you choose your special people?

No comments:

Post a Comment