Saturday 16 February 2013

The History of Us

Playa Del Carmen, March 2012

Spencer and I "met" in high school. I was in Grade 10, he in Grade 11. We met doing the school play - West Side Story. I don't really remember talking to him at all - I have a vague memory of being around him at times. I definitely didn't know him and he didn't know me. We had mutual (distant) friends and I do remember thinking he was very cute and that was about it.


Fast forward to Halloween 2008. I was in Nursing school "enjoying" life (read: hating school), and my friend had invited me to go on this pub crawl with some of her friends. Long story short, Spencer and I wound up on the same pub crawl and, fueled by liquid courage (and possibly boredom, I was with a bunch of people I didn't know and we were at a bar I didn't like), I saw a guy I sorta knew and went up to talk to him! Of course, he didn't remember me - I soon learned that Spencer was a wiz with faces, but awful with names! Thankfully, we hit it off, and went on our first date a few weeks later.


Spencer and I the night we officially met, Halloween 2008.

We've seen each other through the most turbulent and rewarding times of our lives. Spencer received his journeyman ticket in Electrical in 2009, and I earned my Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 2010. Right around that time, Spencer herniated a disc and had to take a year off to recuperate. In that time, he decided on a complete career change and went back to school for Funeral Directing and Embalming. Finishing that, he decided that wasn't the best fit for him (loved the job, hated the hours) and went back to electrical. Throughout this all we've adopted a dog, travelled (both together and apart), decided to move in together (scary, but so worth it!) and experienced all the ups and downs that go along with life!

This all lead up to Spencer proposing on November 30, 2012. And now here we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment